Saturday 30 December 2017

Book Review: It's Not Me, It's You by Mhairi McFarlane




Synopsis:
Delia Moss isn’t quite sure where she went wrong.
When she proposed and discovered her boyfriend was sleeping with someone else – she thought it was her fault.
When she realised life would never be the same again – she thought it was her fault.
And when he wanted her back like nothing had changed – Delia started to wonder if perhaps she was not to blame…
From Newcastle to London and back again, with dodgy jobs, eccentric bosses and annoyingly handsome journalists thrown in, Delia must find out where her old self went – and if she can ever get her back.

My Review:
I have only read a couple of books by Mhairi McFarlan which I really enjoyed so I have been really looking forward to starting this one!
You meet Delia Moss who decides to propose to her boyfriend Paul, I got the feeling that Paul wasn't as happy as Delia to be engaged and it soon becomes clear in the pub when Delia receives a text message from Paul meant for another woman. From that moment I was hooked and quite often stayed up to the early hours just to find out what Delia was going to do next.

I really felt for Delia, she felt like Paul cheating was somehow her fault, I loved that she decides to take charge and leaves Newcastle to start a fresh in London and live with her best friend Emma. I wasn't keen however on her new job and her new boss Kurt, I didn't trust him at all, but I could understand why Delia wanted to stick at the job and not give up. 
I really liked Adam the journalist Delia meets, I enjoyed the banter between the two of them especially how Adam liked to wind Delia up, however you could tell throughout that Adam did care for Delia.

I really liked the relationship between Delia and her brother Ralph, Mhairi wrote some lovely moments between them, Ralph was described as a bit of a loner, still living with his parents hiding out in his bedroom playing computer games. It was Ralph who gave Delia the courage to bring back her alter ego 'The Fox' which was a comic that Delia created when she was younger.

At some points I thought I knew where the story was going but the story took a few different twists and turns which kept me guessing right until the end. Don't be put off by the size of the book, over 500 pages might seem a little daunting but I never got bored, it's packed with so many ups and downs and had me laughing out loud. The book might be over but I am still thinking about the characters and wondering what they are up to!





No comments:

Post a Comment