Friday 30 March 2018

Book Review: Some Kind of Wonderful by Giovanna Fletcher




Synopsis:
When the love of your life says you're not The One, who are you?

Lizzy and Ian have been a couple since the first week of university. Now, after celebrating a decade together, everyone thinks they're about to get engaged.

Instead, a romantic escape to Dubai leaves Lizzy with no ring, no fiancé and no future.

Lizzy is heartbroken - but through tears, she sees an opportunity. This is her moment to discover what she's been missing while playing Ian's idea 'better half'.

But how much has Ian changed her, and who should she be without him?

Determined to discover who she is at heart, Lizzy sets out to rediscover the girl she was before - and, in the meantime, have a little fun...


My Review: 
I really enjoyed Giovanna's latest book, I heard some great reviews and being a huge 'Billy and Me' fan I knew I was in for a treat! 

This story follows Lizzy, who dreams of being next to walk down the aisle with her boyfriend Ian who have been boyfriend and girlfriend for like forever. Every Christmas, birthday, holiday or a general Friday night Lizzy is waiting and hoping that Ian will get down on one knee and declare his undying love by proposing and making Lizzy his future wife. 

After a holiday in Dubai ends in disaster, Lizzy's hopes and dreams are crushed when Ian doesn't declare his love but instead decides Lizzy is not The One for him and that they should split up. 

Coming home to their empty flat they once shared with happy memories of their travels together, Lizzy makes the journey back to Essex to her parents, back to her childhood bedroom, back to her Bananarama cd's and Take That posters. (It could have been worse... Lizzy could be sleeping on a treadmill after her sister Michelle's old childhood bedroom was turned into a gym!) 

Going through the boxes from her childhood a time before university and Ian, Lizzy tries to discover whether she was always destined to be the person she is today or that her relationship with Ian has lead her to be the Lizzy she is. 

I really liked Lizzy and following her on her journey of rediscovery, mixing back with old friends, meeting new friends and reconnecting with her family. I think Giovanna had the right mixture of characters and they all had a little story of their own along the way. 

I did feel the book ended far too quickly than I hoped it would, I felt that Lizzy had so much more to give to the story so I am really hoping Giovanna brings out a follow up as I would love to check in with Lizzy and all the other characters. 

This book was warm, funny and entertained me throughout, I especially loved all the Essex mentions, being an Essex girl myself I loved that Lizzy spent her clubbing days in Dukes, Chelmsford! 

Thank you Giovanna for a fab read, please bring Lizzy back!!



Buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment