Sunday 15 April 2018

Book Review: What Fresh Hell by Lucy Vine




Synopsis:
Lilah Fox has just returned from the hen party from hell, vowing to actually spend time with her boyfriend and focus more on herself. Then she gets the whatsapp from her best friend Lauren to say she's just got engaged. And as maid of honour, Lilah just signed up for weekend wedding fairs and weekly planning meetings for the next year.

Just when she thinks things can't get any worse, she's about to discover a new fresh hell. 


My Review!
I really enjoyed Lucy Vine's debut novel 'Hot Mess' so when I saw this one I couldn't wait to start it. If you enjoyed Hot Mess I can promise you this one will not disappoint, like Hot Mess Lucy's writing is very clever and the stories are really very relatable! This book had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. 

What a year for Lilah Fox, demanding job as an assistant producer, stuck in the middle of her divorced parents who hate each other and see nothing wrong with slating each other to her, a brother who only appears when he needs to borrow money, endless hen nights to attend, following all the weddings and not forgetting the wedding gifts to be bought leaving her bank account in the minus, trying to find time to keep her relationship to Will alive and now to top it off her best friend Lauren announces she is engaged and lucky Lilah is the maid of honour... I feel exhausted just typing all that!

I really liked and believed in the character of Lilah, she is your typical woman in her late twenties, trying to please everyone and not being able to say no. There were times when I wanted to jump into the book and shake her as I could see she was taking on too much.

So Lilah's now maid of honour to her best friend Lauren.

Lauren... what a blooming nightmare bride! I fear that there are many Lauren's in this world and I really hope I wasn't a Lauren myself! I think there is something about weddings that bring out the bridezilla out of everyone! 

The number of hen do's in a year was ridiculous but not surprising... Lucy describes them all really well, they had me giggling and thinking 'oh my Christ!!' on many occasions, my favourite one being the juice hen party!!

All planning meetings, hen party's and weddings aside this book takes on a deeper story of Lilah. Trying to keep everyone happy is causing Lilah's private life to suffer and at some point something has got to give and Lilah needs to take back control of her life and start saying NO!

All in all this book is brilliant, funny and at times over the top but that just makes it even better! 

Thanks Lucy for another fab read! 







No comments:

Post a Comment